Home Forums Theater 2019 potential Best Actress in a Musical nominees

2019 potential Best Actress in a Musical nominees

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Created
1 week ago
Last Reply
5 days ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
Alex Meyer
FreemanGriffin
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

So far these are the names that would be up for a nomination:

Samantha Barks, Pretty Woman
    Kelli Barrett, Gettin’ the Band Back Together
    Stephanie J Block, The Cher Show
    Sophia Anne Caruso, Beetlejuice
    Lilli Cooper, Tootsie
    Amber Gray, Hadestown
    Beth Leavel, The Prom
    Kelli O’Hara, Kiss Me, Kate
    Christiani Pitts, King Kong

any others? Will any of these wind up in Featured?

Methinks Kelli O’Hara will win her 2nd Tony award. I think Barks, Block, Cooper, O’Hara and Gray or Leavel will be nominated (if there are five nominations. There may only be four due to the low number of potential nominees).

Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Amber Gray will most likely be eligible as a Featured Actress for Hadestown. Eva Noblezada plays Eurydice, who is suppose to be the female lead of that show. We also don’t even know who from The Prom will be eligible where yet. And please remember that in order for a category to have at least five nominees, there has to be at least nine eligible candidates.

If I had to predict the nominees now, they would be…

Samantha Barks-Pretty Woman
    Stephanie J. Block-The Cher Show
    Lilli Cooper-Tootsie
    Eva Noblezada-Hadestown
    Kelli O’Hara-Kiss Me, Kate

As for who could win, Stephanie J. Block already appears to be an early frontrunner given all the buzz I’ve been hearing about her performance. Not to mention that we have seen several performers win Tonys for playing famous musicians in the past. Though she still would have to overcome the whole industry bias against commodity musicals. While Kiss Me, Kate won’t be starting performances until February, Kelli O’Hara is still in that honeymoon period from her win for The King & I. Then again, if she was still overdue, more people would probably be keeping an eye on her. I could even see a world where Eva Noblezada wins if Tony voters really embrace Hadestown.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

Kelli Barrett and Christiani Pitts have no chance of being nominated, especially given their shows’ brutal reviews. Even if Samantha Barks is considered the best performer of Pretty Woman, its summer opening may make it a distant memory for Tony voters.

ReplyCopy URL
    Xander Cassel
    Participant
    Topics:

Current thoughts:

1. Beth Leavel, The Prom
    2. Stephanie J Block, The Cher Show
    3. Eva Noblezada, Hadestown
    4. Kelli O’Hara, Kiss Me, Kate
    5. Lilli Cooper, Tootsie
    6. I’m still holding out for Imelda Staunton’s Gypsy revival to transfer in time
    ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I have seen Imelda Staunton’s Gypsy – is there a possibility of its transferring this season? She would certainly be nominated if that were to happen.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

There hasn’t been any word that they’re trying to do a transfer of Gypsy this season. Even if they wanted to, there’s not that many theaters available on such a short notice.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I remember there were rumors a while ago that the Imelda Staunton-led revival would be coming to Broadway through Roundabout Theatre Company, but that apparently fell apart.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Even if Samantha Barks is considered the best performer of Pretty Woman, its summer opening may make it a distant memory for Tony voters.

I think the show’s tepid critical reception may end up being a bigger detriment to Samantha Barks’ chances at a nomination. While I think it’s still possible for Barks to get recognized, I could see the nominating committee probably feeling that if there was a better musical around her, they’d be taking her a lot more seriously. We’ve seen that happen in the past to performances like Lisa Howard in It Shoulda Been You and Benjamin Walker in American Psycho.

I’m not too familiar with specific details about the nominating committee, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the ballots they’re given lists every single eligible candidate in all the categories. If that’s the case, then I could see (at least) some nominators looking through the ballots, and maybe come across a certain candidate thinking “Oh yeah, I remember that”.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

My guess:
    1)Stephanie J Block, The Cher Show
    2)Sophia Anne Caruso, Beetlejuice
    3)Samantha Barks, Pretty Woman
    4)Kelli O’Hara, Kiss Me, Kate
    5)Beth Leavel, The Prom

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

At this point, I’m predicting the nominees are Stephanie J. Block, Sophia Anne Caruso, Beth Leavel, Eva Noblezada and Kelli O’Hara.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I believe you are all underestimating Kelli O’Hara. I think she will win her 2nd Tony for her Lili in Kiss Me, Kate – it’s a great role and the others are all pretty much in shows which haven’t set the world on fire. (We’ll have to see how the rest of the season progresses, of course).

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

While Beetlejuice did receive mixed reviews out-of-town, Sophia Anne Caruso appears to be one to watch for a nomination.
    http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Review-Roundup-Critics-Weigh-In-on-Pre-Broadway-BEETLEJUICE-in-DC-Updating-Live-20181105

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Do we think Leavel will be Lead?

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

The reviews are in for The Cher Show and they are mostly horrible. The best reviews are for Stephanie J Block’s lead performance and I do expect her to be nominated but I do not believe she will win – I am more and more convinced that Kelli O’Hara will win her 2nd Tony award, again for a revival. If you look at some of the other “lead” actresses they actually play the female (featured roles) to the male leads (Beetlejuice, Tootsie) and co-leads that could be featured in Hadestown, The Prom, and Getting the Band Back Together. The only true leads have been in shows that have not fared well: Pretty Woman and King Kong – that leaves Lilli in Kiss Me, Kate. This would make up for her losing for her best roles due to the competition those years: The Light In the Piazza, South Pacific and The Bridges of Madison County. This will be my earliest prediction the day the predictions center opens and I am so certain of it in will be my first superbet.

ReplyCopy URL
    AwardsConnect
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Yup. Barring the show proving a dud, it’s O’Hara’s to lose.

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.