Home Forums Television WGA 2019 nominations

WGA 2019 nominations

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Riley
Diet Teridax
Djoko
  • Reis
    Participant
    Topics:

Drama Series

The Americans
    Better Call Saul
    The Crown
    The Handmaid’s Tale
    Sucession

Comedy Series

Atlanta
    Barry
    The Good Place
    Glow
    The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

New Series

Barry
    The Haunting of Hill House
    Homecoming
    Pose
    Succession

Long Form Original

Castle Rock
    My Dinner with Hervé
    Paterno

Long Form Adapted

The Assassination of Gianni Versce: American Crime Story
    The Looming Tower
    Maniac
    Sharp Objects

Episodic Drama

“Camelot” (Narcos: Mexico), Written by Eric Newman & Clayton Trussell

“The Car” (This Is Us), Written by Isaac Aptaker & Elizabeth Berger

“Episode 407” (The Affair), Teleplay by Lydia Diamond and Sarah Sutherland, Story by Jaquen Tee Castellanos and Sarah Sutherland

“First Blood” (The Handmaid’s Tale), Written by Eric Tuchman

“Paean To The People” (Homeland), Written by Alex Gansa;

“The Precious Blood of Jesus” (Ozark), Written by David Manson

Episodic Comedy

“Another Place” (Forever), Teleplay by Alan Yang and Matt Hubbard, Story by Aniz Adam Ansari

“Chapter One: Make Your Mark” (Barry), Written by Alec Berg & Bill Hader

“Halibut!” (Santa Clarita Diet), Written by Victor Fresco

“Kimmy and the Beest!” (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt), Written by Robert Carlock

“Pilot” (The Kids Are Alright), Written by Tim Doyle

“Who Knows Better Than I” (Orange Is the New Black), Written by Jenji Kohan

For more info about the writters and other nominations.

• This topic was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  Reis.
    boss
    Participant
    Topics:

Very shocked to not see Killing Eve, given that it was an Emmy nominee in writing. It’s not even nominated in “New Series” which is quite weird.
    Succession seems to be the wild card this season.
    The Crown’s nomination after a year speaks for its quality.
    Very glad for The Haunting of Hill House.
    Maniac seems to be the new “Godless”.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

Drama Series

The Americans
    Better Call Saul
    The Crown
    The Handmaid’s Tale
    Sucession

That’s a pretty good group, but I would replace The Handmaid’s Tale with another drama. The Succession train is taking off with full steam!

ReplyCopy URL
    Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

Where the hell is START? Also, no The Crown for Episodic Drama is ridiculous.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  Mukund.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Nicholas Hoult, expressing the feelings of EVERY Good Place fan anywhere right about now: http://youtu.be/qY5a0O7qpZY

Santa Clarita Diet and The Kids are Alright? Does anybody watch these shows other than those who filmed them? Jeremy Bearimy and Don’t Let the Good Life Pass You By, anyone? Globes and WGA putting substance and quality first.

ReplyCopy URL
    jjjmoss
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes Handmaid’s Tale, yes talent winning

ReplyCopy URL
    insomniac26
    Participant
    Topics:

Nicholas Hoult, expressing the feelings of EVERY Good Place fan anywhere right about now: http://youtu.be/qY5a0O7qpZY

Santa Clarita Diet and The Kids are Alright? Does anybody watch these shows other than those who filmed them? Jeremy Bearimy and Don’t Let the Good Life Pass You By, anyone? Globes and WGA putting substance and quality first.

The Kids Are Alright is a derivative mish-mash of The Goldbergs, Eight is Enough, and The Wonder Years, but its ratings are higher than The Good Place.

Currently, it’s averaging a 1.05 in the 18-49 demo vs. Good Place’s 0.86. I haven’t done total viewer averages, but the most recent TKAA episode had 4.25 million vs. The Good Place’s 2.7-ish million.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

The Good Place is building steadily. Eligibility was December to November, in case anyone is wondering how The Crown is here. The Haunting of Hill House, Homecoming and Pose got Best New Series nominations, so we know that they saw them; only Succession got in additionally to Best Drama Series, so I suppose that that is the new drama that is safest at the Emmys. Got to hand it to HBO and their enduring industry clout, given the relative lack of buzz and awareness about the show.

"I don't even believe in god, but I'm going to thank her tonight."

ReplyCopy URL
    Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

In the last 14 years, only one Writing Emmy winning episode has received a Episodic Drama nomination, and it’s ironically, Mother’s Mercy from Game of Thrones S5, the most derided winner of this category in recent years.

ReplyCopy URL
    jhaddad
    Participant
    Topics:

The Good Place is building steadily. Eligibility was December to November, in case anyone is wondering how The Crown is here. The Haunting of Hill House, Homecoming and Pose got Best New Series nominations, so we know that they saw them; only Succession got in additionally to Best Drama Series, so I suppose that that is the new drama that is safest at the Emmys. Got to hand it to HBO and their enduring industry clout, given the relative lack of buzz and awareness about the show.

I’m curious what that “December-November” rule means for The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I don’t think either season was really in that window so is their WGA nomination today for the first or second season?

ReplyCopy URL
    Keth
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve been watching “The Kids Are Alright” since it follows “The Connors” and I do enjoy it. Mainly for the Mother (who is a hoot) and three of the sons, Joey, Timmy, and Eddie. I wouldn’t call it award winning, but I have watched every episode so far.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  Keth.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Diet Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

NO WGA NOMINATION FOR BOJACK HORSEMAN WTF??!!?! I can’t freaking believe this level of ignorant incompetence! The Simpsons is stale, old, no longer funny, freaking the definition of yesterday’s news! That show got 2 nominations that should have gone to “The Dogs Days Are Over” and “Free Churro” from BoJack. I respect Bob’s Burgers well enough for the most part, but it has been criminally overrated by these awards. Seeing 3 nominations for it just this year alone in the golden age of animated TV we are in is sickening to me. As for that Family Guy episode, I’m actually going to go out on a limb and predict it. I know vote-splitting might not be as big a deal since Animation Writing is one of those categories that is decided by a panel vote, but I just think it feels more like a classic “apple in a bag of oranges” kind of choice. Or heck, maybe I will just predict the Season 9 premiere of Bob’s Burgers written by Lizzie Molyneux & Wendy Molyneux… for no other reason that it is a Season premiere. *sigh* No BoJack for what I consider its best and most consistently well-scripted Season is a sick cruel joke.

Note to myself: Don’t ever feed the trolls. Don’t get involved in others drama. Don’t let myself be swayed by others predictions, trust my gut more often!

Note to all others: If you don’t happen to like me, ignore me. It is that simple.

ReplyCopy URL
    Diet Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Where the hell is START? Also, no The Crown for Episodic Drama is ridiculous.

Having seen “The Car” from This Is Us and “First Blood” from The Handmaid’s Tale I can say with a fully informed opinion that “START” from The Americans which I have also seen, deserved a nomination over both of those nominees.

Speaking of Episodic Drama, amazing how after winning this category 2 of the past 3 years and still managing triple nods in the year it lost, that Better Call Saul was snubbed completely from that category this year. Could this be a dark omen for the upcoming Emmys? The Television Academy has never been in love with BCS nearly as much as WGA. Better Call Saul doesn’t seem to have any buzz at all anymore, Season 4 just seems to have come and gone.

Note to myself: Don’t ever feed the trolls. Don’t get involved in others drama. Don’t let myself be swayed by others predictions, trust my gut more often!

Note to all others: If you don’t happen to like me, ignore me. It is that simple.

ReplyCopy URL
    Diet Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

My final thoughts on these nominations is that I want Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt to win Episodic Comedy for “Kimmy and the Beest” more than words can possibly describe (Go Robert Carlock!), I want The Good Place and The Americans to win Series Writing Awards, I’m definitely going to check out The Haunting of Hill House now that I see it is a real awards contender, and… I am not going to get over BoJack Horseman’s inexcusable shutout from the animation category anytime soon. I get that this is just some silly awards and it doesn’t mean much of anything in the broad spectrum of the world, but talk about insulting to what was arguably the best-written animated program of 2018 and embarrassing for the WGA voters as a whole. I guess I should be grateful that BoJack at least did win this category for past 2 years, for the wonderful “Stop the Presses” and especially for the heartbreaking and brilliant Emmy-snubbed “Time’s Arrow.”

ReplyCopy URL
    unbb24
    Participant
    Topics:

I was expecting them to nominated BoJack Horseman

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.