Home Forums Movies 2019 Independent Spirit awards discussion

2019 Independent Spirit awards discussion

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
leothescorpio
M: The Original
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

The Indie Spirit award nominations are always one of the first ones to come out every year, towards the end of November, and it’s time to start thinking about which films will do well this year. I always find it difficult to understand which films are eligible and which films are not based on what criteria they use to define “independent” film-making? There are usually a few actual voters on here on Gold Derby who know which films are in consideration.

I just saw Wildlife today and am expecting it to be nominated for Best 1st Film, Best Screenplay (is it a 1st Screenplay or will it be eligible in the Screenplay category?), Female Lead, Male Lead and Best Director for Paul Dano (maybe Editing and Cinematography as well). It was superb and truly an independent film.

Is there anywhere online with a list of which films are eligible for their awards? What major films are borderline this year?

I’ve noticed every year that a film that is financed outside of the U.S., and/or has a foreign director, will get major snubs – Room and Three Billboards come to mind quickly (they won major Spirit awards; I mean they were left out of Best Film and I believe Best Director as well). What if any films might fit that criteria this year?

I always look forward to this particular awards and their nominations being announced early!

Anonymous
    Topics:

Sorry To Bother You ftw

ReplyCopy URL
    leothescorpio
    Participant
    Topics:

If Beale Street Could Talk for the sweep!

ReplyCopy URL
    M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

Na-kel Smith is a possibility in supporting actor for Mid90s.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Is The Hate U Give considered an independent film, or is its budget too large for consideration? Amandla Stenberg and Russell Hornsby would make excellent nominees, if eligible…

ReplyCopy URL
    leothescorpio
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Indie Spirits only consider Independent films with a budget below $20M. The Hate U Give’s budget is $23M..So that’s out, but I hope it pops ups somewhere.

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

Wildlife is Dano’s first, but Kazan’s second screenplay. That makes it ineligible for First Screenplay, right?

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

^I think so, thanks for the information.

and thanks for the budget information on The Hate U Give.

I am also hoping that Elsie Fisher is nominated for Female Lead for Eighth Grade.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Some films that I would think would be eligible for consideration would potentially be: Wildlife, Eighth Grade, Leave No Trace, Sorry To Bother You, First Reformed, Bird Box, The Misadventures of Cameron Post, Ballad of Buster Scruggs, Under the Silver Lake, What They Had, Puzzle, Mid90’s, a Joaquin Phoenix movie the title of which is escaping me at the moment (not last year’s You Were Never Really Here, the other one that came out last spring) –

not sure about the budgets and/or how independent such films as Destroyer, The Old Man and the Gun, Love, Simon, On The Basis Of Sex, Can You Ever Forgive Me?, If Beale Street Could Talk, The Wife, At Eternity’s Gate… are these eligible or not?

There are always some indie films we have never heard of because they never got a proper release that nevertheless get nominations.

It’s always a fascinating list!

ReplyCopy URL
    chanelmoviestar
    Participant
    Topics:

thomasin mckenzie!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    aahoto
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Indie Spirits only consider Independent films with a budget below $20M. The Hate U Give’s budget is $23M..So that’s out, but I hope it pops ups somewhere.

I remember Silver Linings Playbook had a budget over $20 million and that made it in. Does anyone remember why?

ReplyCopy URL
    Diet Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I remember Silver Linings Playbook had a budget over $20 million and that made it in. Does anyone remember why?

Harvey Weinstein’s influence at the time was enough for an over-budget film to make Spirits eligibility.

Note to myself: Don’t ever feed the trolls. Don’t get involved in others drama. Don’t let myself be swayed by others predictions, trust my gut more often!

Note to all others: If you don’t happen to like me, ignore me. It is that simple.

ReplyCopy URL
    Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Announcement this Friday at 10:00 PT.

I have heard that Beautiful Boy, The Hate U Give and Widows are not eligible. The Favourite is only eligible for the international category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

There are most likely several others on the borderline, but I have not heard from their reps yet about eligibility.

If you have specific ones you want for me to question, let me know.

ReplyCopy URL
    leothescorpio
    Participant
    Topics:

Announcement this Friday at 10:00 PT.

I have heard that Beautiful Boy, The Hate U Give and Widows are not eligible. The Favourite is only eligible for the international category.

Yeah it was kinda obvious about those 3 films. The Hate U Give has a $23M budget, Beautiful Boy $25M and I’d assume Widows has a $30M+ budget.

I’ve seen on another forum that Roma is eligible in all categories because it has an American producer. Yalitza rises.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.