Home Forums Movies 2019 Best Actress Oscar Discussion (Part 6)

2019 Best Actress Oscar Discussion (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 503 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
Lil Tony
FreemanGriffin
willd
  • Jazzy
    Participant
    Topics:

I find myself rooting for Emily Blunt (: Olivia Colman would be great too. I am hoping the cw (conventional wisdom) turns out to be wrong, as the two most likley aren’t worthy this year – good, but not great.

I’m not sold on Colman being a “lock” as some people claim. She’s got a Globe nomination and her film does too, but guess what? So does Blunt and HER film. Blunt seems like a more likely Oscar nominee to me: she’s the title character of her film, and the film is likely to get a BP nomination, whereas Colman is in a three-horse race with Weisz and Stone. Also this would be Blunt’s second hit film of the year (the other being A Quiet Place). With two hit films this year, I doubt Blunt will be snubbed.

Lil Tony
    Participant
    Topics:

Personally, I didn’t like the trailer for A Private War as it appeared all over the place and a bit pointless but Destroyer got me.

FYC Emily Blunt (Mary Poppins Returns) and Lady Gaga (A Star is Born) for best actress

Lil Tony
    Participant
    Topics:

In my case, I’m totally rooting for Close but it’s all really just a popularity contest, and I was nervous that her film would be passed up for a more popular film. But as someone above cleared it up, The Wife was one of the first screeners received by SAG. I mentioned in another thread how I thought she should’ve won an Oscar for Albert Nobbs. However, this year there are some amazing performances from other actresses. As much as I want Close to win, I would also be happy with anyone other than Lady Gaga winning.

the last line in this write up is inaccurate. Make some editing please

FYC Emily Blunt (Mary Poppins Returns) and Lady Gaga (A Star is Born) for best actress

Lil Tony
    Participant
    Topics:

I find myself rooting for Emily Blunt (: Olivia Colman would be great too. I am hoping the cw (conventional wisdom) turns out to be wrong, as the two most likley aren’t worthy this year – good, but not great.

Emily Blunt is by far the best nominee in her category. Charlize Theron comes right after her

na digga
    Participant
    Topics:

Good riddance to Viola and her TV movie

As if TV movie is a insult in 2018 when tv is more popular than film and Netflix can get Oscar noms. The hate for viola Davis is unnecessary, nobody else on this forum gets as much hate 🧐. She’s one of the best actresses of this generation. Maybe if Hollywood gave black women less stereotypical films than they could actually have a chance in these races. There’s no reason why Emily blunt she be getting nominated for Mary Poppins in 2018 when she was phenomenal in a quiet place. These award shows are gonna continue to lose ratings unless they make their nominees more diverse and less predictable. Why would I watch the Oscars when I watched the same exact people when the same exact awards and give the same exact speeches as the globes or sag. Toni Colette, Yalitza Aparicio,olivia Colman and Nicole Kidman should be the locks but I guess close and Gaga are somehow more deserving.

marchingwizard
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not sold on Colman being a “lock” as some people claim. She’s got a Globe nomination and her film does too, but guess what? So does Blunt and HER film. Blunt seems like a more likely Oscar nominee to me: she’s the title character of her film, and the film is likely to get a BP nomination, whereas Colman is in a three-horse race with Weisz and Stone. Also this would be Blunt’s second hit film of the year (the other being A Quiet Place). With two hit films this year, I doubt Blunt will be snubbed.

You sound as if Colman, Weisz and Stone are all in the same category when they are not. Plus, if anything, The Favourite has a lot of buzz and the most buzz it had got was for the three ladies, so it’s definitely safe to say that all three will get nominated.

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Whether we like it or not there are 3 locks: Close, Colman and Gaga. Personally I think there are other actresses that are way more deserving – most of whom have no chance at all at a nomination. There are truly only two open slots that remain to be filled, and it’s very unclear still who those two will be. Also, Colman is the best of the 3 locks by far – hers is the best of those 3 movies and the most interesting performance. Close and Gaga are good; Close is hampered by her film, Gaga is hampered by inexperience.

Luca Giliberti
    Participant
    Topics:

I just came home from seeing “Widows” and Davis should absolutely be nominated. I watch her as Annalise Keating every Friday evening when I sit down to watch “HTGAWM.” The fact that people called Veronica and thus her performance in the movie similar to her performance in “HTGAWM” proves that either one had not been watched. I was pleasantly surprised how subtle her acting was; the script allowed her to do that.

That said, as much as I adored this movie, it’s not getting anywhere near the awards. It’s way too dark, gritty and “entertaining” (if you know what I mean). It’s also very divisive, which I get. Davis will be my #1 for the year (unless Kidman really exceeds my expectations), but this isn’t a performance that Oscar voters will like, perhaps not even SAG. It’s not Fences or The Help.

FYC Oscars 2019: Viola Davis (Widows) - Best Actress

Luca Giliberti
    Participant
    Topics:

As if TV movie is a insult in 2018 when tv is more popular than film and Netflix can get Oscar noms. The hate for viola Davis is unnecessary, nobody else on this forum gets as much hate 🧐. She’s one of the best actresses of this generation. Maybe if Hollywood gave black women less stereotypical films than they could actually have a chance in these races. There’s no reason why Emily blunt she be getting nominated for Mary Poppins in 2018 when she was phenomenal in a quiet place. These award shows are gonna continue to lose ratings unless they make their nominees more diverse and less predictable. Why would I watch the Oscars when I watched the same exact people when the same exact awards and give the same exact speeches as the globes or sag. Toni Colette, Yalitza Aparicio,olivia Colman and Nicole Kidman should be the locks but I guess close and Gaga are somehow more deserving.

There’s no need. The industry loves Viola, which some people won’t accept here. She’ll be an EGOT next year, no need to worry 🙂

Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

Just watched Cold War and Joanna Kulig deserves to sweep. What a performance. I don’t think she’ll receive any love at the televised awards but hopefully she picks up some critics prizes. Maybe LAFCA?

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

One thing about Viola Davis in Widows – she’s not really the lead, the film is truly an ensemble. She may have the most screen time but the film bounces around to many different characters and storylines. She is actually very good in the role – better than Close or Gaga – but honestly she doesn’t give a full lead performance, and her character doesn’t develop all that much. I think Liam Neeson may also be part of the problem, as they didn’t really have much chemistry. She had great chmeistry with Elizabeth, Michelle and Cynthia.

I would be interested to know what the percentages of different voters there are: age, sex, race, sexuality, etc. I know they have changed it but I do think the academy is still older and white; more diverse but not by that much? Knowing this information would make predictions much easier.

Luca Giliberti
    Participant
    Topics:

One thing about Viola Davis in Widows – she’s not really the lead, the film is truly an ensemble. She may have the most screen time but the film bounces around to many different characters and storylines. She is actually very good in the role – better than Close or Gaga – but honestly she doesn’t give a full lead performance, and her character doesn’t develop all that much. I think Liam Neeson may also be part of the problem, as they didn’t really have much chemistry. She had great chmeistry with Elizabeth, Michelle and Cynthia. I would be interested to know what the percentages of different voters there are: age, sex, race, sexuality, etc. I know they have changed it but I do think the academy is still older and white; more diverse but not by that much? Knowing this information would make predictions much easier.

I pretty much agree with this; it was really an ensemble movie. I do feel like she led the team and also had her own storyline, but she was more of a lead in Fences than this.

Neeson wasn’t that great in the movie, her overacted in that final scene especially.

Vicennn
    Participant
    Topics:
    • Colman
    • Close
    • Gaga
    • Blunt
    • Kidman vs McCarthy vs Aparicio vs— Collette

Luca Giliberti
    Participant
    Topics:

Since Davis barely has a chance of getting nominated, I am rooting for Kidman!

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Just watched Cold War and Joanna Kulig deserves to sweep. What a performance. I don’t think she’ll receive any love at the televised awards but hopefully she picks up some critics prizes. Maybe LAFCA?

So looking forward to seeing Cold War (: I love the trailer but so far I have seen no release date for where I live – I have a bad feeling it’s not going to show up here until mid to late January ): I need for films to show up BEFORE the Oscar nominations come out!

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘2019 Best Actress Oscar Discussion (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.